Beef & Mushroom Risotto
A tasty, hearty and easy meal to impress!
- 600g Gravy Beef
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs and 1 tbs extra leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 ltr beef stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 400gm Arborio rice
- 125ml dry white wine
- 1 bunch asparagus cut into 2cm lengths
- 25gm finely grated parmesan cheese plus extra to serve
- 60gm baby spinach
- 400gm mixed mushroom sliced
- 1 lemon zest to serve
- chopped parsley leaves to serve
Cooks in: 1 hr 45min Prep 15 min
- Place half the onion, thyme, bay leaf and stock in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add beef. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove beef from cooking liquid and coarsely shred. Strain cooking liquid into a medium saucepan and discard solids. Set stock mixture aside.
- Add the remaining onion and oil into a large saucepan over meadium heat. Cook onion, stirring until softened. Add garlic, stir and cook for a further minute. Add rice and thyme leaves and stir to coat for 2 minutes.
- Add wine, bring to a simmer and stir until liquid has absorbed. Add warm stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly, and allowing the stock to be absorbed before adding the next. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until all the stock has been used and rice is al dente, add the asparagus for the final 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add parmesan, spinach, season and stir. Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large non stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushroom and beef to risotto and stir.
- Serve risotto with lemon zest, parsley and remaining parmesan.