Char-Grilled Rump Steak, Potato Salad & Garlic Mayonnaise
This tasty potato salad makes a great side to a simple char-grilled steak. Take the time to rest the steak after it comes off the heat. If given the time to rest the steak will lose less juice when you cut it and will be juicier and tastier.
- 800g Rump Steak
- POTATO SALAD
- 600g small kipfler potatoes washed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 red capsicum thickly sliced length ways
- 2 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- extra 2 tbsp olive oil
- GARLIC MAYONNAISE
- ½ cup good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
Cooks in: 8 mins Prep time: 25 mins
Don't crowd the flat-plate or char-grill plate when you barbecue. This reduces the heat and the meat will then release juices and begin to stew.
Always rest meat after it comes off the heat. This allows the juices, which have been driven to the centre of the meat by the heat to return to the surface. If given the time to rest, the meat will loose less juice when you cut it and will be juicier and tastier.
Best beef steaks for BBQ - fillet/tenderloin, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin/porterhouse/New York, T-bone, rump, round and blade, oyster blade.
- Brush the steaks lightly with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the BBQ flat-plate or char-grill plate to hot before adding the steaks.
- Cook on one side until the first sign of moisture appears. Turn steaks once only. Test the steaks for degree of doneness with tongs. Rare is soft, medium feels springy and well done is very firm.
- Remove steaks from heat, loosely cover with foil and rest for 5 minutes before serving. To serve, place the steaks on plates, top steaks with mayonnaise, add a spoonful of potato salad.
POTATO SALAD: Cook potatoes until just tender, and then thickly slice. Drizzle with a little of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush the capsicum with half the remaining oil. Cook on grill for 2 minutes each side or until tender. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Drizzle the asparagus with remaining olive oil. Cook on grill for two minutes each side or until bright green and tender crisp. Place the potato, capsicum, asparagus and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and extra olive oil, and gently toss to combine.
GARLIC MAYONNASE: Combine the mayonnaise, garlic and coriander and serve.